Friday, January 14, 2011

Dark day, bright spots

I really miss being outside. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me so, because last night I had a dream about the camp I used to work at in the Catskills. I was running around, trying to figure out what classes I needed to teach. I felt totally unprepared and everything looked different than what I was used to. That's about how I feel right now- living in a new state that is poverty-stricken doesn't provide much in the way of new employment.

Despite the darkness of my feelings, I had a few bright spots today. One was when I decided to go out and fill the feeders. Today was bright and sunny, and I soon took off my hat and gloves. As I finished filling a feeder in the front yard, a daring little junco hopped down and chirped repeatedly about 3 feet from where I was standing. I was afraid to breathe. He got spooked and went into a tree near the house. Too bad he wasn't a chickadee; they've been known to eat seed out of people's hands (I've done it before). Then I went out back to fill the tray feeder and tube feeder. As I finished, a glimpse of something big caught my eye. Looking up, I spied a great blue heron just taking off, flying slowly and majestically near the ground (probably because of the power lines next to our house). It was a beautiful sight, and made me smile. So did the orchids my husband brought home for an early birthday present. They are whitish pink dappled with magenta spots- gorgeous. I hope they make it in our dry house.

So I realized I do miss the outdoors. I have been cooped up inside for far too long, not even regularly going on birding trips or hiking. And a little snow won't stop me; I've got YakTraks to help with the ice. I think going for a walk every few days would help bring my spirits up. Just have to find somewhere to go. It would be nice to have more of those bright spots every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment